Sunday, November 30, 2008

Magnesium Suppresses REM

So after a little research I found out why I felt so crappy the next day after taking the ZMA. For some reason I require dreaming in order to feel awake the next day. Not sure why (Note: I believe this to be because I require the idea of a passage of time) but anyways here is what I found:

Serotonin, which elevates moods, is dependent on magnesium. A magnesium-deficient brain is also more susceptible to allergens, foreign substances that can cause symptoms similar to mental illness.

It seems that if you run out of 5-HTP you may want to try out the ZMA to get your before REM nap.

-L

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I never new that Magnesium was one of the primary building blocks of Serotonin. Hmmm....
    So one wonders if all of those Body Builders who report crazy dreams on ZMA might just as well report vivid dreams on 5-HTP.

    -R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that is what I was thinking. Funny how we figure this stuff out haha. I wonder if 5-HTP also does the same thing as Magnesium in body building and that Serotonin maybe is a important part in the testosterone levels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. scratch that looks like Serotonin does the opposit that testosterone does but they do react to eachother. I dont really understand how ZMA produces Serotonin with Magnesium, and also increses testosterone.

    -L

    ReplyDelete